Tuesday 1 April 2008

Counting down now... it will all finish...here...>

It was kit check time tonight, my rehydratable meals were ordered from Expedition Foods in Pickering, I spoke with Ian on the phone on monday and 6x 800 calorie meals arrived by courier today.

3x Saghetti Bolognaise,
3x Cilli Con-Carne, and
3 packets of Army Biscuit Browns.

So supper late on Sunday will be;
1x Spag Bol meal(800cals), + 100 grms Cipriani ribbon pasta(370cals) +
1x Pot Noodle(568cals) and a couple of Biscuit Browns for a grand total of 2000 calories of complex carbs.

Breakfast at 05:30 on Monday will be another 1000 calories. That little lot should put enough energy into the bank to get me half way along with some carb loaded rehydration powders added to my water bottles at each check point.

40 miles in will see another 2000 calories eaten "on the hoof" after rehydrating another set of the above.
The dificulty I have here is disciplining myself to eat during the mid afternoon heat, I must admit I struggle with this bit!
The water can be heated to just warm in 6 minutes as it will already be warm from the days heat when I get it (no fridges in the desert!), that will still reconstitute the food, in about 5-6mins, so a 10min stop at the checkpoint for fresh socks and food should do the trick.

I'll snack on buscuit browns for the rest of the way and energy gels for the final push into the night section of the stage, and the finish line on the famous Skeleton Coast.

I've had a flurry of emails today, from my friends and tent mates from last years Marathon des Sables in the Sahara, their encouragement and banter will spur me on. I also had a quick chat with Lou Powell who had literally just stepped off a plane from South America, and was getting his taxi home, wishing me luck, and looking forward to catching up after the race to hear all about it.

Most of all though, I've been humbled and very touched by the comments and sentiments that people have shared as they have sponsored me towards my MacMillan Cancer Support goal. Lets hope that a cure is found soon for Cancer and similar ills.
more later... before departure, see you all soon, and Thanks to you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Andy. Hope you have a good run.

I'll check back early next week to see if you're back and have had time to post a report of how it went.

Graeme.