Thursday 3 April 2008

Can I introduce you to my New Running Buddy....

You know... sometimes an idea forms that just won't leave you alone! I mentioned in the previous post that I have been humbled and touched by some of the personal stories that people have taken time to share with me as they posted comments with their sponsorship.
Many have lost parents and sisters and brothers, others have lost friends, and everyone either has, or sadly will be touched by the effects of cancer at some time during our lives.
I lost my Dad just over a year ago to cancer, and agonised over how to support my Mum, as she struggled to come to terms with the demands that were placed upon them both in coping with all that treatment entails. Thats why I'm supporting MacMillan Caner Support, because they were there for her during the weeks, when I couldn't be because I live 250 miles away from where they live.
On my visits to Hospital and Hospice over a six month period, I saw every character trait and raw emotion on display, I witnessed pain, anger, anguish, grumpiness, tiredness, and discomfort and sickness from changes in drug regimens, and inspite of all this, I saw courage, guts, determination, hope, faith and smiles, tears of laughter and joy, and that "Never give in" spirit of Hero's, because those people who I spoke to as I spent time with my Dad just weren't giving in and were determined to maintain their dignity and enjoy a laugh at every opportunity. What courage!
And courage comes in all shapes sizes and ages. A work collegue has just touched my heart with a story of a real case of courage and determination in a 9 year old boy who is doing his very best to fight off his illness and get better.
Sometimes we can learn a lot from examples like this, and when I look for courage and strength and determination I think about special people like this 9 year old boy, who don't understand or know why it has happened to them, and didn't ask to be tested in this way, but they don't argue or suck their thumbs in pity, they just get on with what they have to do, with quiet dignity and determination and dream about the times they can get back to doing the things that they love, because that's what Hero's do.

So... a thought came to mind that wouldn't leave me alone... why not take a Buddy with me that can share the experience for this 9 year old boy, and then when he comes back from having run across 80 miles of the Oldest Desert in the World, in extreme conditions, he can share his experience in the form of his photos and diary of the adventure. So here he is I'm proud to introduce my new running buddy who will be with me every step of the amazing journey we are about to undertake."Ben ZE-Bear".
He has a lot of responsibility on his little shoulders, as he will need to report on every aspect of his adventure, a very special Lad is waiting to hear all about it.
As you can see he is prepared and travelling light... something tells me we're gonna get on just fine.
...more tomorrow, before we fly to Namibia.... remember stay strong, stay positive, and "Never give In" I won't... see you all soon.

No comments: