Sunday 13 January 2008

When the sun comes up...

Every morning as the sun rises over Namibia, an Antelope stops grazing and scans it's surroundings for signs of danger. It knows it must outrun the swiftest of Lions if it is to survive this day that stretches before it.
Every morning as the sun rises over Namibia, a Lion scans it's territory seeking out opportunities for a kill, it knows it must outrun the slowest antelope in order to eat, and survive in this day of opportunity that stretches before it.
Either way, whether you are a Lion, an Antelope, or a 46 year old Ultra Marathon Runner, when the sun comes up... in order to succeed in the challenges that lie before you in Namibia... you had better be running!

The difference for me will be that by the time the sun comes up at 06:10 on April 7th I'll have been running through the Namibian Desert by moonlight, towards the famous Skeleton Coast for some 13hrs, and I expect to have burned somewhere between 7500 and 8000 calories.
The race starts at 17:00hrs on the 6th April, and sunset is scheduled for 17:46 so I'll be praying and wishing "Leo and his mates" have the very best of luck in their hunting and very full tummies on the 6th, and just hope I've run my skinny, bony, very un-tasty backside well out of his territory by sunrise on the 7th!

Can you tell I've been doing my homework? You know what they say, Planning and Preparation Prevents P#ss Poor Performance, and anyway with any luck I'd only have to outrun the guy in front of me.
More later... see you all soon.

No comments: