Tuesday 29 January 2008

Friends at a distance and doing the distance with friends...

Can you believe it's the end of January already? Where did the month go? In the two weeks since the last post, it's been cold, wet, warm, sunny, windy, and now we're destined for snow!! I've taken it all in my stride as the mileage and training intensity has increased (persistance is the key). Mostly it's been road running at night through the week and off road at the weekends during the day, the mileage is upto 50 miles per week, but still not enough to guarantee a decent performance in the race this weekend.
It's dificult to find well organised Ultra distance events (anything over 26.2 miles is an Ultra Marathon) with checkpoints providing water and food, this makes them invaluabe as training events. So much so that they generate an international field of competitors.

Rory Coleman, MD of Ambition Events is staging another first for the Ultra running community. Tring2Town 80, (see training events links on the left) a 2 stage supported Ultra Marathon 40 miles on Saturday, 40 miles on Sunday, or for those who are up for the challenge... an 80mile Ultra by doing both days.
Not only is Rory one of the most inspirational people I have ever met, and a hero of mine (he has in excess of 550 marathons and 9 world records under his belt) he is also on of the most genuine people I have ever met, so it's no surprise to me that he has the knack of attracting some of the Uk's most talented Ultra Distance athletes to his events.

He is however known to lower his standards occasionally,(which is how I got in) and also why I got the following email from Angola last week from Tom Adams (pictured having a pot noodle breakfast with me in the Sahara during the Marathon des Sables, March 2007)
I was just idling away some time while sat at work (yes, it is a Saturday, but currently stuck offshore in Angola!) and I came across your ugly mug on one of the forums saying you're doing both days of the Tring2town?? I'm wussing out and only doing the second day, but if you're there would be good to catch up.cheers,Tom
Whilst it made me chuckle, and also keeps any delusions I may have of a decent performance in check, (Tom makes lightening look slow, and a racing snake look fat)It also reminded me that when you have the bond of going through extreme races, friendship will remain across time and distance, and when you meet up at these events, the distance becomes fun. Especially when I remember he still owes me a beer!.... More to follow after my 80 mile weekend, see you soon.

No comments: