Monday 14 April 2008

As I write these final lines... almost a week has passed since the end of the Namibian Desert 24hr Extreme Ultra Marathon. My feet are still tender, but the pain has long since gone and I am reminded of Lance Armstrong who famously quoted "Pain is temporary, but Victory lasts for ever!"
You know... memories also last forever, and I have very special memories of this event, the ADT team, Steve and Amy, the guys I shared the race with, Tom, Joakim, Ken, Alan, Will, Pete, Bill, and Chris, and Jayne, who filmed the trip for Bill & Pete. Faan for sharing his respect, and his team who took such great care of us throughout the expedition, and the magnificent country of Namibia where it all took place, and of one jovial Namibian who exclaimed with a smile, on top of beacon hill 724, "Welcome to my office", well all I can finally say is;

"Kobus, my friend, I hope the welcome still stands... because I have signed up for next year... and I'm coming back for more"

It's a milestone event, but I have shared only my experience, which I hope does the event justice, It is without doubt the toughest event I have ever entered, and I'd like to leave you one last quote if I may... which I have adapted.
If you want to win something run a 10k race...
If you want to experience something run a marathon...
If you want to push yourself to the limits in one of the greatest single tests of endurance you will ever find... sign up for next years "Across The Divide" Namibian Desert 24hr Extreme Ultra Marathon... I'll see you there!


Postscript Hopefully I won't be emptying my bladder in the tent at the end to provide evidence for the Doc of what scuppered my race plan, here is what 700ml of blood and myoglobin filled urine looks like.

No comments: