Sunday 9 March 2008

Spring has sprung

Saturday 06:30am,
A bright breezy start to the day, and 26.2 miles stretched ahead of me, 5 miles into the run the sun broke through and I wondered how I would feel in a few hours time. Today was experiment day... no breakfast, deliberate minimal carb intake in the previous days, and a reference for what it would feel like awaiting me.
After discussing food strategies for endurance with Rory, a thought has been stuck in my head all week. Rory had summarized the whole concept of correct energy replacement strategy for me in one simple statement..."If you want to drive 80 miles in your car but you only put 40 miles worth of petrol in the tank, what do you think would happen?"
Unlike in multi stage ultra marathons, where you can replenish energy with a cooked meal and sleep, the Namibian single stage ultra is timed start to finish. My challenge therefore is how do I refuel with enough energy to complete an 80 mile single stage race when, considering the terrain and temperature, I will burn somewhere in the region of 130 calories per mile or 10,400 calories over the distance? Especially when I struggle to eat while I run.
Assuming I start the race fully energized and carbohydrate loaded, broken down into 2 sections, I need to refuel with 5200 calories between mile 1 & 40, in order to sustain myself between 40 & 80, and have enough fuel on board to complete the distance, assuming I arrive at he finish line absolutely drained. So what will it feel like to be out of fuel?

Well back to Saturday, 1st of all, an offroad marathon takes more out of you than a road marathon, but I have to say the distraction factor of the scenery helps the miles to melt away.

Spring has definitely sprung in North Yorkshire, and as I covered the off road miles (I got wet feet 1 mile in, crossing the stepping stones in Crimple beck) I saw snow drops, croci, daffodils, 3 wild deer, a fox and a red kite in the first 12 miles, and fields full of expectant sheep. As I approached mile 18 I ran alongside fields of spring lambs, noisily bleating in chorus and nuzzling mum, for attention and feeding. Mmmmm food...energy!!!
That was just about the time I started feeling the pain and results of the experiment.
My legs felt heavy and painful, mainly in my thighs, but my calves were also feeling tight, and I definitely identified the drained of energy feeling. Energy gels carry 88 calories, with 66 grammes of carbohydrate, barely enough for a mile so two of these helped carry me on. The next 4 miles of my run were all up hill and that enegy kick soon disappeared, and it was replaced by tiredness, and a deflated feeling, I took another 2 at the end of the climb and I was back to the drained feeling as I coasted down hill for 2 miles to home.

So, it was lesson learned, and a smile back on my face after rehydrating with 1ltr of Rego recovery powder mixed into a banana & milk smoothy and a hot bath.
If I get the energy replacement bit wrong at 20 or 40 miles into Namibia, I'm in for a very painful experience, ending in failure.

That for me sums up the beauty of experience, you have a reference and a chance to learn and apply what you learned from the lesson. Better to experience it in training that in an extreme event.

It also is for me a lesson in respect and advice, or should I say "respecting the source of advice". I have often been asked for advice, on running goals and achievement in ultra marathons, and I think the best advice I can give is to share what was given to me... " There are only two kinds of people to take advice from... those who have achieved what you want to achieve...and those who have paid the price that you are willing to pay." because you cannot negotiate the price of success, you either pay it or you don't!
It's amazing how many times I hear people ask for advice from experts in their field, and then look to question it because it is not what they wanted to hear!

Rory, once again, I owe you one!
more later...see you all soon.

No comments: